Pass Plus Courses & The Insurance Minefield

Posted by:

The Pass Plus scheme, or Positive Driving Techniques, is a practical driver-training course that new drivers can undertake; in order to improve their road skills and to encourage drive a safer approach to using our varied road system.

It takes at least 6 hours and can be taken at any time, though new drivers would find it extremely beneficial, if done in the year after passing their test.


If you’re interested in taking a Pass Plus course, You’ll need to contact an approved driving instructor who is registered under the Pass Plus scheme.


The fee will vary according to the area concerned and sometimes according to which driving school you choose.

Many local authorities are now offering assistance with Pass Plus fees and for more information; you should follow the link to:


Pass Plus training involves six modules that cover some aspects of that may still be new to you, like night driving or faster roads such as dual carriageways and motorways. Please call Tristar Driving on 01270 879435 for further details.

Pass Plus doesn’t involve having to take a test after the training but your instructor will usually monitor your progress during the six modules and you will need to prove your competence with each one, before your Instructor will complete the certificate details.


Discount on your car insurance?

Depending on which company you use, the discount for having successfully completed Pass Plus training will vary.  As an example companies like Churchill for example, usually offer around a discount 5% off your premium. You can follow the link for further information.

Some Insurance companies offer other incentives such as an accelerated no claims discount – worth checking out when you research the Internet perhaps.

Of course, there are many Insurance companies in the UK – all of which would be interested in attracting your business; another popular company to check would be:

Often, taking account of the discounts available from Insurance companies, it could offset or even sometimes make up for the money you paid to take the pass plus course; worth considering!

Car insurance for new young drivers can often be regarded as a high expense, so it is perhaps worth doing your research before committing to a policy; also why not ask around at work or college and see which companies the other people in your age group are using?

Whatever your decision about Insurance companies and the best one to use, remember that the correct level of cover is also very important:

 Car Insurance Catagories

The following brief information is an outline guide for the three main categories of car insurance currently available:

  • Fully Comprehensive, – if you      have an accident, this covers you for any damage to your car, as well as the      other driver’s car (referred to as the third Party), Your cover will also      protect you if you lose your car as a result of fire or if it is stolen.
  • Third Party/Fire & Theft – in addition to standard third party insurance cover, as detailed      below, you are covered if you lose your car as a result of fire or if it      is stolen. You should however beware, because it won’t cover any      accidental damage to your car.
  • Third Party Only –the      minimum legal requirement for car insurance. You’re covered for any damage      to anyone else’s car or property, but not the damage to your own car.


Insurance Excess

Check to see if there is an excess quoted on your car insurance policy;

In simplest terms, this is the amount of your contribution, should you be involved in an accident and need to make a claim.

If your stated excess was for example, £250 and you needed to make a claim to the value of £1,250. In you would be asked pay the first £250 leaving your insurance company to pay the balance of £1000.00.

Your excess is usually preset, compulsory amount;

In most cases, you would have the opportunity to increase the value of your excess amount, which can reduce the cost of your annual Insurance cost.

If you were to have an accident that was proved to be not your fault, the usual course of action is to seek payment of the excess charge from the company who insures the other driver (the Third Party).

Please refer to the information in this blog, should you wish to check out Pass Plus and its benefits – and also how Pass Plus can assist with the reduction in your Insurance Premiums.


About the Author:

Add a Comment